Friday 23 March 2012

When the big boys come out to play

When little boys go play at pretend warriors, you sort of get something like this ...



Wooden sword, mum's wide elastic belt, roughly thrown together bits and bobs. It's a blast. But when the big boys (and girls) come out to play, you get this ...



And the big boys and girls get to go to neat markets where they can buy stuff like this ...



And authentic weapons like these ...



And these ...



Or if firepower is more your thing, these ...



A new Three Muskateers movie comes out this summer and I can imagine kids running around in gardens pretending to be D'Artagnan or Porthos or Aramis or Arthos, play fighting with sticks pulled off trees and teatowels as capes (that would be me and my brother and cousins when we were little!!) and battling the Cardinal's forces. Imagine how much cooler it'd be if there were these to play with ...



Big boys get proper shields too. None of that rubbish bin lids nonsense.



Last week, I visited a Re-Enactors market and was fascinated by the amazing stuff you get at events like this. I only went to see a man about some leather pieces. There was so much there. Not just the weaponary but the lifestyle stuff like clothing, drinkware, shoes etc.



How lovely are these glazed urns and jugs?



And I loved these buckets.



Apparently these shoes were so in-trend way back when. Christian Louboutins these are not.



There was even furniture (and tradesmen that dressed the part!)



And no two bob plastic drums for this lot either.



Next time I'll take my kids. They'll get a real kick out of seeing things like this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love those buckets and that furniture! You don't see this type of awesome markets around my parts :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.