Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Simplicity 2599 top number 2

After the successful muslin I made of the ruffle front Simplicity 2599 top, I bought myself some pretty crepe de chine and made a second one. Here's how it turned out.



I now know that the fabric for the muslin was more like a satin than a crepe de chine. The red crepe de chine has a finer handle and frays like crazy if you even look at it. It was seriously a bit of a pain to sew with and I am certain that my hem is crooked. But it hangs beautifully and the ruffles are soft and sit nicely.



It's the perfect weight for a summer work blouse. I found the lightness of the fabric made the sides of the opening at the back saggy. I also realised I need a lot more practise at sewing lightweight fabrics like this - the top-stitching is all over the place and wonky.



It's a nice top nevertheless and I'll get a fair amount of wear out of it this summer. I hope your week is going well so far, friends.

3 comments:

  1. Wonky or not, it looks fantastic! I love the ruffles and the fabric. I'd be too scared to attempt something like this, but now I want one! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful Ady. You sew like a pro! Seriously, you've done a great job on the blouse. It's really pretty.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete