Wednesday 7 July 2010

New Dress A Day ....

.... is a terrific blog by the very creative and resourceful Marisa. Back in December 2009, Marisa decided to take up a challenge which would allow her to be creative and build her a whole new wardrobe without stepping into the mall. Each day for the entire year, Marisa intends on introducing a new piece into her existing wardrobe which she has found in flea markets, thrift shops and garage sales. She has also limited herself to spending just $1 a day. So the challenge is simply this - 365 days, 365 items of clothing and 365 dollars. Today, she is on Day 220 with 145 days and $143 left to go. Marisa never ceases to amaze me with what she can do - the muu-muu refashion projects are the best!

So I was in our local thrift/ charity shop the other day when I spotted this dress. OK, so it wasn’t quite £1 … it was more like £2.50.



There were small holes at the bottom by the hem on the left side and it must have had a belt at one stage because it had belt loops on the side. I liked the print but did not like the length or the small holes. So I decided I would spend £2.50 on the dress and cut it up in true Marisa-style to make myself something new to add to my wardrobe. So I got it on my desk, pinned it and marked a new hem out.



Then snip-snip-snip ...



Sew a new hem at the bottom ....



And Ta-da! I have myself a nice, very comfy top to wear over jeans or work trousers. I kept the sleeves long so it would be a piece I can wear into autumn. Today I just rolled the sleeves up and wore it to work.



I was lucky this dress was a reasonably good fit so I didn’t have to do much else apart from cut 10 inches off the bottom of it. I think I'd like to find a nice belt to go with this.

Now, what do you think I could do with this ?!!

3 comments:

  1. Love the fabric and that's a great conversion.

    You know, I reckon you should ask Marisa what she's do with the kaftan ... bet she'd have some great ideas. I'm sure she'd go for a deeper V-neck and definitely make it into a tunic style top. The colours are good on you ... nice to see you not in just black, grey and white!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black and white top! Not so sure about the other!! LOL.
    Angela
    www.sewloquacious.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top reminds me of dad's old shirt that was turned into cute woman's top. I don't know how mom did that, but she's just so excellent in reinventing things! Hhhmm.. Can she also turn a simple black and white top into something sophisticated?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.